Sunday, March 17, 2013

Thankful: by Garth

I thank my God every time I remember you. - Philippians 1:3

Years ago at summer church camp is when I first remember someone sharing this verse with me along with other fellow campers and staff.  Out of all the different verses this one remains as one of the most significant to me.  I don't quite recall exactly how old I was, but I do remember where I was.  I did understand the meaning of the verse, but I did not understand the depth of meaning the verse held.

Now, as a 34 year old man, a husband of 12 years, and a daddy to 3 children, I have a deeper appreciation and understanding of the Philippian writer, Paul.  Not only do I understand the writer, but I now understand that the depth of that message will grow exponentially as I continue to grow.  Here's why.

My wife and kids; Crystal, Grace, Claire, Wyatt, Pedro, João, and Luca.  (The last three listed boys are technically exchange students, but are forever my sons through experience.)  My mom, dad, and brothers.  My grandparents.  Mother and father-in-law.  Extended family.  Neighbors.  Church family near and far.  I would love to continue listing, but I think you get the point.  Every person in my path of life.

This remembering is a strong effect of the butterfly effect that Crystal wrote about in the last blog.

This weekend my family, which includes João, was surprised immensely by João's family (Mariana (mom), Carlos (dad), Pedro (brother and our boy), Tiaguinho (little brother) ) coming to our house for a four day visit from Brasil.  Yes, I do mean from Brasil, South America.  They came to celebrate João's 17th birthday.  This was the first time I met Carlos.  Our visit together was filled with such bliss.  Even as I write these words, I have tears of thanks creeping into my eyes.  God makes beautiful things!

Looking forward and still thankful.

Roughly 8 weeks remain until Crystal and I leave for Ukraine to bring a new child into our family. Our eyes are fixed on a specific child, but we know that things can change for many reasons and that God is in control.  We are daily praying for this child, our family, people supporting us, the grant programs and the weight of decision making on their part, and so many more things.  Being thankful is a full-time job.    Makes me think of another verse that talks of "praying without ceasing."

Thank you all for your prayers, support, and encouraging words.  Although our family may not know all of you readers, we pray for you and thank you.  May the God of our Fathers bless you.

Be thankful!

-Garth

No comments:

Post a Comment