Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Advice from Terri

After Garth and I were married I got a job working for a local bank. I had that job for a little over three years. Toward the end of my time there, I was expecting Grace.

Gracie was our first baby. Or "Number One, haha" as she refers to herself.

There is so much advice out there when you are pregnant. Eat this. Don't eat that. Wear this. Don't wear that. Worry about this, that and the other.

Being a first time mother, I was overwhelmed. Who do I listen to? The books? The doctors? My well-meaning friends?

At about 12 or 14 weeks the doctor recommended that I have a test done to see if the baby had any genetic problems. I really worried about what to do. Some friends said, "You should find out so that you can prepare." Others said, "What can you do anyway? Forget about the test."

Neither answer gave me peace.

Finally a friend named Terri that I worked with at the bank told me, "Do you take your vitamins?" "Yes," I said. "Do you drink water?" "Yes," I replied.

"What else can you do? You are doing all you can, leave the rest to God."

That little bit of advice has stuck with me ever since.

Even now, nine years later.

I have done all I can. I just mailed the (second) dossier off yesterday and it will be hand carried to Ukraine on April 1. I have applied for grants. I made lotion bars like a mad woman.

Now is time to leave the rest to God.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete