Monday, July 22, 2013

Today, I am.

Hello!

I thought that being in Ukraine would be a big adventure. It would be German-looking me on some Euro backpacking adventure. Brave and cheerful and curious. 

And it totally is a big adventure. Just not in the way I expected. 

Today when I was walking down the normally dusty (which I complained about viciously in my head) street to the orphanage which is now a giant mud hole, I had a moment of clarity. I could hear my yoga teacher's voice in my head. 

And suddenly I could just BE in the moment. 

Mud and all. 

The breeze swirling around me. The sound of the leaves blowing together. The feel of my flip flops. The smell of apricots. The itch of mosquito bites. The excitement of getting the good bus. The people who I see who have similar features to my son. 

And I knew in an instant that none of us are at home. You might be sitting in your favorite chair at the table, or lying in your memory foam bed (can you tell I am missing mine right now?) or half way around the world from your address. But either way, we are not home. 

We are all travelers. Going through life. Getting derailed sometimes. Going off road. But aren't those the times you find the surprises? The great restaurant? The lovely garden? The interesting barn?

A sunflower field in full bloom. 

Sometimes when you get off the beaten path, you end up exactly where you should be. 


No comments:

Post a Comment