Saturday, February 23, 2013

Thoughts...

I found this quote on the blog of my new friend who is in Ukraine adopting her girls.

"Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way." -MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.


I think that this is a very relevant quote for what our family is embarking on.


To be honest, not everyone is as thrilled as we are. We hear the horror stories (do people think we don't know?) we hear the "what ifs". We know all of that. We know that adopting an older child brings a special set of circumstances with it. We absolutely expect difficulties. Interestingly enough, when we were expecting our children "the easy way" we never had people come up and tell us horror stories like, "Do you know Susie? Well she had a kid and he knocked the neighbor's trash can over and spray painted the cat, I sure hope that you don't have those kind of problems". If we did hear horror stories, they were about a horrific birthing experience and they were told with a measure of pride.


That being said, do I think it is worth it? Absolutely. Am I positive of God's calling for this journey? Without a doubt.


Let's be honest, Reader, most of the "problem" children and adults that we know had every advantage growing up. Parents who loved them, mothers who took their prenatal vitamins and plenty of access to good food and healthcare. All any parent can do is their best. You plant the seeds and trust God with the multiplying.


When people tell me their concerns, I listen. I know that it is well intended. I am not out to change anybody's mind. I am out to follow God's will for us and leave the changing of people's minds to Him.


I challenge you, Reader, to "Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way." 

2 comments:

  1. LOVE this post, Crystal. "I am out to follow God's will for us and leave the changing of people's minds to Him." Perfectly said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! We had all of those "what if" questions, too. And the "do you know the risk you're taking" question. But God knows, and has planned from the beginning, that this child is yours - He created him for your family. What if God had said that about us? "Well, she's too risky. I won't bother with her. I certainly won't die for her." Then where would we be?

    And we have seen changed hearts, and it is amazing. Only God.

    ReplyDelete