Monday, March 24, 2014

The Blessing of ADHD

So, I stinking HATE the aforementioned label. Capital letters HATE.

I do not dispute the fact that ....  is a real thing. Not one bit. I do not dispute the fact that I live with two people that (most likely) are blessed with it.

That's right. I said BLESSED.

What I would quibble with is the stigma around that label. The stigma that says, "Oh, that person can't do X Y or Z."

I do not agree with painting people with that label and then trying to cram them into the mold.

I also do not love this being used as a crutch.

Why does everything have to be perfect in our culture? Teeth straight and bleached. Hair straightened. Photoshopped lives. People who can sit for hours in a BORING classroom or in a BEIGE cubicle are more valued than those who need to fidget, who would rather be jumping than sitting. Who the heck defines "perfect?!" Yuck!

I think that maybe it isn't anything that is wrong with you, that it is the way that God, our everlasting, ever loving, all knowing Father, CREATED you. That it isn't a result of faulty programming, but maybe more a fault of our couch potato culture.

I have grown to view ADHD as similar to the Parable of the Talents.

Matthew 25:14-30

The Message (MSG)

14-18 “It’s also like a man going off on an extended trip. He called his servants together and delegated responsibilities. To one he gave five thousand dollars, to another two thousand, to a third one thousand, depending on their abilities. Then he left. Right off, the first servant went to work and doubled his master’s investment. The second did the same. But the man with the single thousand dug a hole and carefully buried his master’s money.

19-21 “After a long absence, the master of those three servants came back and settled up with them. The one given five thousand dollars showed him how he had doubled his investment. His master commended him: ‘Good work! You did your job well. From now on be my partner.’
22-23 “The servant with the two thousand showed how he also had doubled his master’s investment. His master commended him: ‘Good work! You did your job well. From now on be my partner.’
24-25 “The servant given one thousand said, ‘Master, I know you have high standards and hate careless ways, that you demand the best and make no allowances for error. I was afraid I might disappoint you, so I found a good hiding place and secured your money. Here it is, safe and sound down to the last cent.’
26-27 “The master was furious. ‘That’s a terrible way to live! It’s criminal to live cautiously like that! If you knew I was after the best, why did you do less than the least? The least you could have done would have been to invest the sum with the bankers, where at least I would have gotten a little interest.
28-30 “‘Take the thousand and give it to the one who risked the most. And get rid of this “play-it-safe” who won’t go out on a limb. Throw him out into utter darkness.'

I guess I view the energy that God has given you as His investment in YOU!

When we met the director of the home that Daniel lived at, I asked her whether Daniel was a good boy. She gave a very Ukrainian "meh" shrug and then pantomimed that he was like a spinning top.

She was right. (Except for the "meh" part).

What that has translated into for our family is ACTIVITY! And that has been a great gift! We go to the YMCA at least once a week, more often two-three times a week. Yesterday Garth took the kids to family Zumba and then swimming. Hours of physical activity. Muscles are building for all of the kids. They all swim like fish now. And Daniel? He goes and goes!

The boy who was scared of the water? After carefully observing the people who swim laps he is developing great form. No doggy paddle for him!

That boy who could barely pedal his bike? He runs the mile all the time now.

Determination and the energy to match.

Unstoppable.

Confidence blooms for the kids.

And the investment is being spent.

And yielding a return.

No comments:

Post a Comment