Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Happenings

School began in Sponseller-land on the 18th of August.

Daniel is now at the same school as his siblings which has, so far, proven to be a much better fit for our family.

Some of the strategies that we have incorporated this year (for those who are wondering) are:
  • Garth is down as the point of contact for naughty behavior. I got called way too much over way too piddley of things last year and it about gave me a breakdown. And it was totally my own fault that I let it happen. Because I was so worried about having a perfect child that I was trying, by the force of my will, to make it happen. Garth has a better perspective on the minutia than I do. Things that leave me wiped out often just make him laugh.
  • I will not go into his class to help him behave. Daniel is fully aware of what is expected of him. He quickly grasped the fact, last year, that if he was rotten, I would be called, I would come in and that is what he wanted: mama. This year I told his teacher that my presence in the class should be a reward rather than a "punishment." So now he is working towards me coming in to help rather than a trinket or toy. I think it is a much healthier bribe.
  • I have contacts on the inside. Grace, Claire and Wyatt are there to help Daniel make good choices and rat him out when he doesn't. For example, he was taking forever to eat in the cafeteria. I was not aware of the problem and I think that the teacher didn't realize that he was intentionally lollygagging. Claire snitched on him and so we told him that he couldn't eat breakfast at school unless he got to class on time. (He eats breakfast at home either way about it, he is not deprived.) I spoke with the teacher and she told me that he had suddenly began getting to class on time. After a week and a half of not.
We have come a long way, baby!


This is a one year to the day difference. So much more centered.


This is an "after school" shot.

Hope things are going well for all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment