Thursday, June 19, 2014

Every Little Thing

I am not a big follower of all things adoption related. Or of things Ukrainian adoption related. But I can't help but notice all the crowing that goes on when an adopted child starts growing.

Most children coming out of the Eastern Bloc countries are small for their age and for their culture and it seems like they rapidly grow and flourish once home.

I have mentioned before how shocked I was when I first laid eyes on Daniel, due to his size. He has grown about an inch. Maybe. In ten months.

I comfort myself by the fact that when I was in Ukraine I was eye to eye with the average man, often I was even a bit taller. And my brother-in-law, who is probably 6', seemed like Gulliver. Towering over people everywhere we went.

But still, from time to time, I feel a defensiveness rise in me when I hear people remark on Daniel's height (or lack thereof).

But one thing that I think might be the gift in his size, is the fact that he and Wyatt are the same height, give or take an inch. And they are best friends. And maturity-wise, they are on the same wave-length. 


I would love for him to start growing, but I know that I need to enjoy this time where he is little and I can pick him up like a baby. And baby him. 

He will grow. 

But in the meantime I am saving money on clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment