Monday, January 27, 2014

Snowed In...Day 738

As you can tell from my slightly exaggerated (although not by much) title, we have been having a lot of, umm...we'll call it "bonding time," thanks to the weather.

The first few days that we had cancelled, I was determined that my kids would use this time to be creative. And I would be fabulous. And my house would be clean. And they would not rot their minds on television. And we would make snow ice cream...

Well, you get the picture.

We have done some of that! (Snow ice cream is delish, by the way).

In other news, all my kids have practically memorized all of Bugs Bunny's most famous lines, since they have been watching it non-stop for no more than an hour a day.

And I have been glued to any information that I can find about the situation in Ukraine. Ugh. Heart breaking there. I am just so incredibly grateful that we did things when we did them. Because there are families in the midst of adopting now who are going to have to wade through this mess. Prayers for them.

I will probably devote a post at a later date to the situation in Ukraine, but right now, my heart is just too full and I would probably type my fingers off if I were to even scratch the surface.

Back to light hearted happenings in the Sponseller home.

Daniel is finally learning to cooperate with chores. I hear about some adopted kids being really eager to help. That was not our case. Ha. Daniel would throw an outright tantrum to avoid cleaning up after himself, let alone helping with household chores. Now he does so willingly. I think it helped him to see that we do all, in fact, pitch in.


So, we literally are on day eight of cancellations due to weather. This following Christmas break. 

As much as I am READY (and so are the kids) for school to resume, uninterrupted, I am really, truly thankful for this time. I have seen the kids bond in new ways, play nicely together, watch out for each other, get creative with Rainbow Looms and Legos. I feel like having school be a non-issue for this stretch of time has been a gift. I have seen Daniel's confidence blossom even more. I have gained confidence in myself that having all four at home can be peaceful. 

Play has been embraced. I bought a little trampoline for the kids to jump on and we go swimming two to three times a week. I am seeing all the kids improve their skills and can finally say "Wow!" when Daniel shows me his muscles. Because he finally has some definition. In fact, with all the swimming, he is getting down right muscular. He is a strong kid. Garth jokes that his last, great hope for an athletic child might reside in Daniel, since Daniel isn't corrupted by my genes.

So, Dear Reader, things are going well. I am enjoying a warm and peaceful home, thankful that we can shelter from the elements.

Stay warm!

I will leave you with a bit of humor on this snowy day. 


1 comment:

  1. Glad you guys are enjoying your snow days as a family and that the kids are bonding more. Cava can be the same way about chores. Sometimes he's very compliant, though other times he sulks and complains, "This is not fun for me," and has to be goaded into helping. Like you, I haven't been able to write about what's going on in Ukraine. It's too close right now for me to have any perspective on all that's happening there. All I can say is that it breaks my heart and it concerns me for those who are adopting and wanting to adopt from Ukraine, as well as for those kids who are waiting to be adopted.

    ReplyDelete