Thursday, December 5, 2013

Keepsakes: Updated

The holidays are rich with tradition. In the Sponseller house one of the big traditions is ornaments. The children each have special ornaments that tell their story.

The Charlie Brown ornament that Grace picked out that has Lucy being grossed out by Snoopy's kisses.

The Superman onesie that was Wyatt's first Christmas ornament.

The chorus of dogs barking Jingle Bells that Claire chose to celebrate her love of dogs.

Every year. 

Except for Daniel.

I had just assumed that it would not be a big deal, but last night while decorating Christmas tree, the first glimmer came of how starting-from-scratch Daniel is. And it made me sad. He would admire the other children's ornaments (or "toys") but desperately search the box for one of his own, which he doesn't have yet.

He has stories of Dedushka Moroz (Grandpa Frost/Santa Claus) and Christmas trees. And candy under his pillow if he was good enough. And none if he wasn't.

I think about how I cherish pouring over pictures of days gone by. Hundreds of them. Stacks of them. Boxes of them. Family who I have never met but who's eyes I have.

Belonging.

My sweet Daniel has a little Mickey Mouse photo album with around ten pictures of his life before. His "baby" photo which shows an adorable four year old. Several photos from the government registry. Photos of children who have passed through his life; some coming to America, some to the internat.

Oh my heart.

So, my goal is to either find or make an ornament. It will have to be special. A spiderman ornament with "Daniel Sponseller's first American Christmas." Because it is not his first Christmas. He speaks of Christmas at the detskiy dom with fondness. I can't not acknowledge that. He has a past.

He has a future.

Update: (Friday, December 6)

So, after stewing on this, I decided to do the following: I went out today and bought Daniel eight Christmas ornaments and told him a story for every one. I picked out a baby ornament for his first Christmas and told him that I am sad that he wasn't with me for his first Christmas but that I know he was a beautiful baby and I bet people just loved to kiss his cheeks. A snow man because I know how much he loves snow and I have seen pictures of him bundled up like a little snow man. A pickle because he loves pickles. I went through and told him a story for each and every ornament. He was so excited. He kept telling the other kids what a cute baby that he was and showing them his ornaments and retelling the stories that I told him. 






We also are blessed that one of the pictures that was in Daniel's little book was a Christmas photo of all the kids together with one of them dressed up as Santa, so I asked him if he could bring that picture to me and I framed it and stuck it with all the other Santa photos.



A big thanks to Marcie who mentioned the thought of "If I had been your Mommy." And a thanks to the clerk at the Hallmark store who took pity on me after hearing what I was trying to do and gave me a 40% off coupon.

No comments:

Post a Comment